Sunday, May 23, 2010

Update

Is it a long weekend, where you live?  It is Victoria Day long weekend in Canada and it is largely seen as the official kickoff of summer.  Thing is, it's usually raining and cold.  People go camping in the hopes of a good time and typically come back with pneumonia.

But not this year.  This year, we are having the most beautiful "May Long" that I can ever remember having.  It was somewhere in the neighbourhood of 25 Celcius today and right now, at 8:45 pm, it's still 20 C.  Folks, when I'm on my deathbed (assuming I have a deathbed), today is the kind of day I want to have on my mind.  I know that sounds morbid, but trust me when I say it is not.  Today was the kind of day where I find myself putting down my work and smiling up at the sky with a silent "Thank You" going out into the Universe.  I felt very fortunate to be experiencing it and to have the opportunity to enjoy it to its fullest.




Ok, enough of that.  It turns out at least ONE of you is waiting with bated breath to see if our deck/planter/walkway project is complete.

It isn't.

The End.

Ok, I'm just kidding.  I'll fill you in. 

It really isn't finished.  But it's getting there.  I just zipped out there to take some photos of our handiwork (and had to run around, making windmill motions with my arms in order to dodge about 16 million black flies that all decided they wanted a piece of me - ever try to windmill your arms while taking photos?):

Ooh, that lawn looks nasty.  For now, anyway.



Those daylilies, geranium and hostas are all waiting to be replanted, tomorrow (after we go get some mushroom compost to fill the boxes with).  I didn't want to start on the box for the other side of the deck, as I was a little concerned about the effect the heat was going to have on the uprooted plants.  We'll whip that one up in no time (that box is a little smaller), so it can wait 'til tomorrow.

As you can see, we haven't had a chance to finish the deck.  We need someone with a table saw to "rip" a few pieces for us, which will likely have to wait until later this week, when my coworker has a few moments to help us with that (thanks, Kelvin!).

While I was out there running (and windmilling) from shot to shot, I figured I might as well do a circuit of the yard and give you an update of the rest of the garden:





My two-foot-tall chives (are chives SUPPOSED to get that tall?)... crazy chives.

Our awesome new compost (we picked it up yesterday) that has lobster and mussel shells in it.

I'm going to try and put together some gardening posts, wherein I share with you some of the wisdom I have picked up from family and friends that you might find useful.  Here's the first snippet:

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY, IF YOU'RE GOING TO PLANT MINT, PLANT IT IN A RING.  A STRONG,  INDESTRUCTIBLE RING.

Otherwise, you will rue the day you ever set eyes on said herb.  It looks all innocent and lovely and fragrant and tasty in this picture, but DO NOT BE FOOLED, PEOPLE.  This plant is possessed by the DEVIL.

Go ahead, ask me how I know.

PS: No, I have not finished the sweater.  Or the top-secret project.  Or any of the fun items on my to-do list.  I'm going to start pulling my hair out, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment