Monday, August 22, 2011

Sad Day

I just read that our beloved Jack Layton, leader of the NDP (New Democratic Party) passed away this morning.

Jack was tireless and passionate.  One could argue that he was single-handedly responsible for elevating his Party to the forefront of Canadian politics.

In the words of Wikipedia: "In the May 2, 2011 election, Layton led the NDP to 103 seats, more than double its previous high. This was also enough to make the NDP the Official Opposition in the Commons for the first time ever."

Exactly four weeks ago today, he appeared on TV looking a little worse for wear and announced that he was going to take a leave of absence from the leadership of the party in order to concentrate yet again on a new battle with an unspecified cancer.  I think it is fair to say that much of the country collectively gasped in dismay when he broke the news.

He had finally, after decades of dedication and hard work, reached a point where his life's ambition (becoming Prime Minister of Canada) was within his grasp.  My heart is completely broken.


Story on the Globe and Mail site.

ETA: Jack's last letter to Canadians.

2 comments:

  1. Such sad news my dear! This is the man who looks exactly like my father-in-law, remember?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your sadness. My grandma also passed away this morning, so it's not a great start to the week for me. Jack Layton was a great leader and a great man. Having him as Prime Minister would have been wonderful.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete