Sunday, January 8, 2012

Wow, I am a slacker.

So it's been, like, almost two whole months since I last posted here.  Jeez.

A LOT has been going on and I'm not even sure where to start...

  • I've been working overtime
  • I've been dealing with some ancient history/family crap/childhood drama/etc and it has eaten up a lot of brain power.  Not sure if I'll get into it here, but well, you never know.  We'll see.
  • I finally finished the @%$^*& argyle vest.  Won't be doing THAT again.  Photos coming soon.
  • A new Gap Factory Outlet opened up (first one in our province), so that means that I can now SHOP FOR CLOTHING!!!  So, I went shopping.  Twice.  (Prior to that, our poshest shopping experience was brought to us by Old Navy.  Not exactly my cup of tea, as I am not 12.)  Ahhhh, new jeans.  That fit.  And look good.  Bliss.
  • I cut into some fabric to make some wool trousers for work.  I took some photos to continue re-start work on my trouser tutorial.  Problem is, it's winter and the availability of good photo-friendly light in these parts is abysmal.   I'll keep plugging away at it and will post it here when it's ready.
  • I finished all the goodies for my pregnant cousin pregnant cousin's baby.  So cute.  I'll save the photos for another post (you see what I did there?  I'm enticing you.  )
  • Oh, and Christmas happened.  Right.  I got a little spoiled (which I will reveal a little later)(what? you think I'm going to give you all the goods in one fell swoop?  do I look crazy to you?)(don't answer that)
  • And I de-fuzzed all my stuff:
This sweater:

 
 And this sweater:

  Netted this:
 

It was pretty dramatic.  I'm not exactly sure what took me so long, but it made all the difference in the world, in regards to how the knits look.  Especially the beige - it is a loose-spun 100% undyed wool, whereas the teal is a superwash merino.

I was on Ravelry snooping around in a few forums where people were discussing different types of yarn and I was really surprised to see so many references to pilling.  And by "references", I mean "complaints".  I don't understand.  If you're using merino or other types of soft, non-itchy wool, you should know that the reason they don't itch is that they have a short staple length.  Short wools pill.  They just do.  It's a fact.  Get used to it.  By a pill shaver for $6 and suck it up, buttercup.

When my hair is short, it flies around and curls and doesn't stay nicely in a ponytail.  When it's long, it sits nicely in an ultra-smooth braid.  Same thing with yarn.  If you want soft and springy and non-itchy, you're going to get pills.  If you want sturdy, non-pilly wool that will stay crisp (like you would use for colourwork, for example), it will be itchy (to varying degrees).  Can't have your cake and eat it, too.  (Disclaimer: I can't/won't promise that this will never change.  Technology is a beautiful thing and you just never know what they'll figure out next...)

So don't diss the wool manufacture all over the internet just because you don't understand the inherent properties of wool, ok?

End rant.

Wow, I didn't know that was in there.  Funny what happens when you sit down in front of a keyboard.

I have no idea what else I was going to tell you, so I'm going to go and get organized and I'll be back.  I'll leave you with a cool photo of the tallest tree in our province (we visited it on Christmas day).  It's an elm and it kicks ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment